Is an outdated ERP system holding you back? It’s best practice to be within two major versions of the latest software release to be able to stay current or get regular system updates. If you’re hesitant to make the switch to Dynamics GP 2018, you’re not alone. The uncertainty that comes along with an ERP system upgrade can be a major deterrent. Keep reading to learn the benefits of upgrading, what you should budget for, and what the process will entail to determine if a Dynamics GP upgrade is the right move for your business.
Benefits of Upgrading to Dynamics GP 2018
The new features and enhancements aren’t the only reason to upgrade. Mainstream support for GP 2010 had officially ended in October of 2015 and GP 2013 mainstream support ended in April of 2018. When does support end for your current version of GP?
- Dynamics GP 2010: ended on 10/13/2015
- Dynamics GP 2013: ended on 4/10/2018
- Dynamics GP 2015: ends on 4/14/2020
- Dynamics GP 2016: ends on 7/13/2021
- Dynamics GP 2018: ends on 1/10/2023
Budgeting for a Dynamics GP Upgrade
We wish we could upgrade everyone for free, but there are costs associated with upgrading. By completing an upgrade questionnaire and having conversations with your account manager, you can get an accurate picture of the time and expense necessary to upgrade your software. Costs to consider are:
- Consulting services for the upgrade
- Licensing changes
- New hardware (if applicable)
- Migration to the Cloud?
- Desired customizations
- New 3rd party products
- Post-upgrade projects
What Does the Dynamics GP Upgrade Process Entail?
An upgrade almost always involves new servers. Before making a decision, ask yourself the following questions:
- Think about how GP is currently running…is it fast/slow/inconvenient to access?
- Am I ready for a move to the Cloud?
- How do I want users to access GP?
- Do I want this to be on premise or hosted? Virtual or physical hardware?
- What version of SQL should I move to?
- Am I going to use a terminal server or published app?
A test upgrade provides an exact mirror of your production system, but your production system is left unchanged. Users can continue their day to day work in production while using GP 2018 on separate servers without the fear of affecting production data.
Test upgrades also give us chance to address issues before they impact production, minimizing the risks associated with an upgrade.
You are unique, just like everyone else. Therefore, timing will depend on the complexity of your environment, any coordination with 3rd party vendors and IT. The following schedule works for 85% of our clients:
- Pre-upgrade planning and project preparation: 1-2 weeks
- Test upgrade: 1 week
- User acceptance testing: 2-4 weeks
- Production upgrade: 1-2 days depending on complexity
What Does Velosio Do During an Upgrade?
You may ask yourself “Can’t we do this ourselves? Are we just paying you to click a few buttons?”.
Here are all of the pieces that we handle for you in a typical upgrade project:
- Backups (initial round and checkpoint)
- FRx, Integration Manager, Dynamics GP, Management Reporter, etc
- Checkpoint backups throughout the upgrade process for fall-back
- Install GP 2018 with the latest Hotfix in your test environment
- Copy and upgrade your GP databases
- Install & update 3rd party (ISV) modules
- Upgrade custom code
- Update modified forms & reports
- Update integrations
- Update or redirect custom reports
- If using FRx – migrate you to the latest version Management Reporter. If you are already using it, upgrade you to the latest version of Management Reporter
- If moving to new server – re-map shared files, set up database maintenance and backup plans
With the release of Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 and the end of support for GP 2013, there are plenty of exciting new features to share and questions to answer. Watch the short video below and learn more about the new capabilities and enhancements, what’s supported for GP 2018, what will be migrated during the ERP system upgrade upgrade, what you will need to test, what 3rd party products are available for GP 2018, and more!