According to a report by the Accenture and the Manufacturing Institute featured on Modern Distribution Management, the skills gap that exists within manufacturing is expected to grow and increase costs for manufacturing companies radically. This gap is putting a strain on productivity which has negative long-term effects on the economy.
As workers are getting older, more are starting to leave the workforce which is causing a great lack of skilled labor. These companies need to shift their focus towards training and educating workers to meet the demands of their business, or in other words they need to develop each candidate to match the specific work that needs to be done.
There are 5 key strategies that are suggested to help companies bridge the manufacturing skills gap to improve productivity now and in the long-term.
- Keep Track of Skill Sets – Maintain an inventory of all current and anticipated skills and use these skill sets to make smarter development decisions when it comes to employee hiring and training. Keep track of what abilities are being lost as well with those who are retiring.
- Use Statistical Analysis – Measure and track the effectiveness of your company’s training programs by adopting statistical analysis methods. Doing this will help you to correlate the training programs with key business needs. Learn from any mistakes and make improvements where necessary early enough to make a positive difference.
- Use Digital Technologies – Provide your employees with on-demand skills training through the use of digital technologies in order to keep better track of their skill levels and allow them to learn at a pace that is most beneficial to them. You can tailor the training to focus on the specific work that needs to be done.
- Use Certified Training Programs – Using nationally recognized, certified programs can train employees effectively and develop a standardized skill set among all workers.
- Develop Positive Relationships with Higher Education Facilities – Engaging with colleges, trade schools and other educational facilities helps to build connections to recruit future skilled workers.
Another way to attract and retain skilled manufacturing employees is to empower your people with tools to do their jobs efficiently and effectively. See the value that Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Microsoft Dynamics AX can bring to manufacturers.